Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Costa Rica Trip Report: Day 8 at Bosque Del Cabo

Since we needed to head to the airport after breakfast, I am up and out at 6AM. I wanted to try to find poison dart frogs one last time. So, I headed down the Pacific trail to the mini waterfall on the trail to see if any are out. On the way, I scared about 10 coatis out of a palm tree. They scattered in all directions and it all went down too fast for me to get a picture. I came up empty on the Pacific trail except for an Agouti foraging. However, I started to see some action as soon as I left the trail.

coatis

Continuing on back towards the cabina, I couldn't help but spend some time photographing the birds near the soccer field. The trees here were alive each morning and evening with a huge variety of birds. Here is a list of the birds we identified in and around the soccer field during our stay. Black Vulture, Turkey Vulture, Blackhawk, Yellow-headed Caracara Great Kiskadee, Scarlet Macaw, Red-lored Parrot, Swallow, Great Curassow, Passerine's Tanager, Red-legged Honey Creeper, Masked Tityra, Hooded Tityra, Rufus-tailed Hummingbird, Lineated Woodpecker, Pale-billed Woodpecker....you get the idea. I did manage to get the semi decent shot of a Golden-hooded Tanager. It is such a pretty bird.

Tanager


After enjoying the birds for as long as I could, I headed off for our last meal. We enjoyed our trip so much it was really hard to pack up and leave. Bosque del Cabo is truly an exceptional place for nature and wildlife lovers and the only thing that made leaving easy was knowing that we would be back again.

Kevin ended up being our driver on the way out. He mentioned that he had seen the owls yesterday along the road so he would look for them again today for us. I don't know how he spotted them, but he found them hidden behind some branches on a limb huddled together. It's been a long time since I have seen something as adorable as this...

Owls

So, we left Costa Rica and Bosque del Cabo behind. But, we were taking with us some incredible memories, none better than the last one of the two Vermiculated Screech Owls.

No comments: